How do I know what my spiritual gift is?If you have truly repented of your sin and asked Jesus to be your Lord and Savior (learn more here), then you have at least one spiritual gift.
There are several ways to discover your spiritual gift(s). I recommend using a bit of each in this order:
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all. 1 Corinthians 12:1-7 (NKJV)
1. PrayIt sounds simple, but I am afraid many people skip this important step. Pray and ask God to show you what your spiritual gift is.
2. Learn about Spiritual GiftsWhat are the different spiritual gifts? What types of gifts are there? How do they work together? We will be looking at all of these questions in our blog posts this month.
3. Take a Spiritual Gift InventoryThere are lots of spiritual gift tests or inventories from which you may choose. Here is one, "Gifted 2 Serve" by BuildingChruch.com, I have used for adults. I especially like its explanations of the gifts. Remember that these spiritual gift tests or inventories are only starting points. The results you get are not the final word. It is simply a place to begin your investigation. You have to try different things and use your gifts to really know what they are.
4. Try gifts on for sizeHow do you know you don't have the gift of teaching, for example, unless you try it? The same could be said of each of the gifts. Spiritual gifts can surprise you because they are by nature God working through you. For example, I've said before that I get very nervous when I am going to be in front of a group of my peers. I get nervous enough that people around me notice. Just before I speak, sing, or teach in public, I can't sit still. I don't like to talk to anyone because I am trying to give myself a pep-talk. I am visibly nervous. But, a funny thing happens when I step out and begin to teach. The Holy Spirit takes over. I have prepared, prayed, and practiced, but when I actually speak, it's like none of that matters. I have a "peace that passes understanding" (a peace and calm that doesn't make sense apart from God, Philippians 4:7). This only happens when I am teaching from the Bible. As you try different spiritual gifts, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I enjoy this?
- What is difficult about this?
- Do I find this easier than I expected?
- Would I want to do this again?
5. Look and listen for feedbackWhen you are gifted in something, people will notice and tell you. Not just one or two people either. If people keep telling you that you are good at something, it may be because it is one of your spiritual gifts.
Now go do it!Ok. We've looked at the 5 steps to discovering your spiritual gifts. Knowing how is not enough. Now it is time for you to take action. Have fun and may God bless you as you discover your spiritual gifts!
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. James 1:22-25 (NKJV)This post is part of a Titus 2 Tuesday Linkup Party hosted by Cornerstone Confessions.