Image © Depositphotos.com/ LevraniiWhat does “intercession” mean? How do you pray for other people? Let’s take a look.
“Theology for Kids.” What does that mean?Theology is simply a big word meaning “the study of God.” You don’t have to wait until you are a teenager or an adult to start learning about God. Pastors and others who have read a lot of books sometimes like to use fancy words when they talk about God-stuff. Once a month in our “Big Word Breakdown,” we’ll take one of those hard words and explain it for kids (and adults) in plain English.
What does “intercession” mean?“Intercession” is a fancy way to say a “prayer for other people.” When you intercede for someone, you are praying for them. Did you know the Holy Spirit intercedes and prays for us?
Also, the Spirit helps us. We are very weak, but the Spirit helps us with our weakness. We don’t know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit himself
speaks to God for us. He begs God for us, speaking to him with feelings too deep for words. God already knows our deepest thoughts. And he understands what the Spirit is saying, because the Spirit speaks for his people in the way that agrees with what God wants. Romans 8:26-27 (ERV)
How can I pray for other people?The Bible tells us lots of ways to intercede and pray for other people.
Pray in the Spirit at all times. Pray with all kinds of prayers, and ask for everything you need. To do this you must always be ready. Never give up. Always pray for all of God’s people. Ephesians 6:18 (ERV)
- Pray for those who sin, that they may come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior—James 5:16
- Pray for others to stand firm and know how to live for God no matter what—Colossians 4:12
- Pray for those who are mourning after a loved one died—Romans 12:15
- Pray for those who are celebrating something—Romans 12:15
- Pray for those who are mean to you and your enemies—Matthew 5:44
- Pray for those who are sad—Romans 12:15
- Pray for those who are sick—James 5:14-15
- Pray for those who are suffering or facing troubles—James 5:13
- Pray for those who are happy—James 5:13
- Pray for those who tell people about Jesus—Ephesians 6:19-20
- Pray that all believers may work together to do God’s work—John 17:20-23
- Pray that you (and others) won’t be tempted to do the wrong thing—Matthew 6:12-14
- Pray for God to give you (and others) things you need to live (like food, water, clothing, shelter, and clean air)—Ephesians 6:18
- Pray for those who are teachers and leaders (like the pastor, principal, mayor, governor, and president)—1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Pray for your country—2 Chronicles 7:14
- What other ways can you think of to pray for other people?